Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Chapters 1 - 4

How's everyone doing on their reading? Don't you just love the book? It's so funny that I just laugh out loud when I'm reading it. I can just picture Jay Berry and that chimpanzee, especially the way the chimpanzee is making fun of him. That wouldn't be as surprising to a kid today, but back in the time of this book they didn't know that some animals like chimps are highly intelligent.

Let's have a little discussion on chapters 1 through 4. Write a paragraph in which you share your thinking about the book. You can answer some of these questions if you can't think of something else to write:
  • How is Jay Berry like a boy today and how is he different from today's kids?
  • Who is the Old Man of the Mountains?
  • What happened when Jay went to the woods to try to catch the monkeys?
  • What do you think is going to happen next?
If you have read farther than Chapter 4, please don't discuss what's coming up! Click the comment button to add your thoughts.

6 comments:

  1. I have read up to chapter 6. The monkeys outsmarted him and took his stuff. I like the book so far, it's really funny. I can't wait to read the next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jay Berry is different from our time because he rides in a wagon to get to his house. He hunts and skins animals. He is like a kid today because he argues with his mom and he feels like I do sometimes.
    The Old Man lives in the mountains and hates hunters.
    The monkeys took the apples out of Jay's traps without getting caught. They totally outsmarted him!
    I think that Jay Berry is going to catch one of the monkeys. That one would be the big one, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't think I would like this book. I'm into World War books and books with magic. I like Jay Berry. I think he is smart and he tries to be a good boy. The chimps are really interesting to read about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jay Berry is pretty different from boys today because he hunts animals, and obviously doesn't know how smart monkeys are. Jay Berry's twin sister, Daisy, tells him about the man of the mountains. The Old Man takes care of the things living on the mountains. Daisy describes him of an kind, old man and can cause someone to have bad luck. When Jay Berry tries to capture the monkeys, he fails and the hundred dollar monkey makes fun of Jay Berry. Even though he sets up traps, the leader of the pack unknotts the apples and does it without stepping into the traps! I can't believe it! I can't wait to keep reading this thrilling book.
    Anne Lheem

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm on chapter 9 and I think the book is okay so far. My favorite part was when Jay Berry found the monkey because I like how he was just walking through the woods and all of a sudden found the monkey and went to tell his dad. I don't think Jay is very different from kids like today because he loses his temper like we do.

    The Old Man of the Mountains is a man who lives on top of the mountain for shelter. When Jay tried to catch the monkeys they were acting wild and got away. Everybody went into the woods to catch the monkeys and the dad took the axe in case he needed it for something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So far it is awesome! I'm on chapter 12.It's funny when he tries to make friends with the monkeys! Jordan, I knew you would like this book because you are a funny guy! Hey Anne, how is your summer? Halle, you are a great reader!
    Ms. Candler, this has been fun. I can't wait to see you in person!
    Connor

    ReplyDelete

Please remember that your message won't be posted until after I read it!